Monday, August 30, 2021

Waupaca Curling Club

I don’t quite remember when I saw my first game, but I was young. My grandpa and grandma played. When we were old enough. My uncle, brother, grandpa and myself entered into a rookie bonspiel. 

And for a bit of time that’s the last I curled.

Four years ago I started curling. Grandpa was I’ll with cancer. It would be a good bond between us. I called him often, every match we played. He gave me advice and told me tricks of the game. He passed before I became the high school coach.

One of my biggest goals at our club was to become a board member. Last year was very difficult for the club, membership wise. I ran for a position, was told I wasn’t a member, voted in as a member by the members, didn’t win the seat. The knowledge I obtained during that whole time was priceless. A couple of board members resigned leaving openings. 

I was appointed a seat by the board. 

April is the member meeting, where I look to be voted in by our members. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing story! I was just watching the program on TV, how it’s made. They showed how curling stones were made, and I thought of you right away! There are only two places in the world where the rock for the stones is located!