Saturday, May 30, 2009

This is why I am here.

First race in Belgium. This will probably be the most detailed recap so...

I rode to the course which was only about 20min away. I found the sign in by watching the other racers. Then I had to pay for my race which after turning my number back in was 3 euro and they the paid 50 deep (without chip timing of course.) What the hell is wrong with American racing?

Before the start as we were all lined up a cop car had to get through all the racers, so I got on the back of it and moved up towards the front. We started with more then 70 dudes on the line. After about 300 meters after the start I was sitting pretty in the top 10. Then the attacks came. Go hard then slow, then go harder then slow, then brake for the corner then go really hard (even in the top ten) then go hard and brake then go hard again. This went on more then I can count in a four corner 2.5km course. At some point following wheels I was off the front in a group of 5. Who thanks to me were not working well... Haha Then after going really hard for not a long time I shot backwards like a bullet. I didn't even get to struggle at the back. Only about 15 people finished the full race. Even if you were 300 meters off the back you got yanked.

No one yelled at me but I did see the middle finger and some aggressive bike handling. Tater would do well here if he was faster. But all and all it was ok I just kept my mouth shut... I think in a few weeks I'll be able to do better. Next race is Monday then Tuesday (Tom Boonens first race back) all within 30 min riding distance from me.

Bummer, I don't think I made the betting board yet, damn 3 weeks of rest... Who the hell would put money on me anyways? Haha

I think I needed one of these in the race.

Ann-sophie got a new Vespa.

6 comments:

Francis Hamre said...

frick yeah!

Mike Lalla said...

Yeah it's a cool Vespa.

Jason said...

sweet, she can motorpace you!

Talk about american racing sucking hardcore... did this race yesterday in CO that cost $50 to enter with a prize list of $125 that went 5 deep... I got 7th... and had to drive 2hrs to the race... Today has a purse of $1200 that goes 3 deep! hard to get money when slipstream shows up...

wish I was there... good luck dude!

Biwan said...

I would take Anne-Sophie over the Vespa.

Mike Lalla said...

Dude she has a dude. Yeah Jason the numbers just don't add up. I think it would be cheaper to rent a place and race here over the summer then pay for all the races you are going to do in the states...

Adam said...

nicely done!
where's the helmet cam?