Thursday, October 29, 2009

Work or Play?

Training or riding with friends? Heavy weights or 12oz weights? 20ish hrs on the bike or 12? Biker rider or bike racer. Pro or Amateur?

At some point you have to be realistic and decide. I have already written off being pro. But that doesn’t mean I won’t be able to race and beat a few. 20 Hrs? Been there done that... you have to do it if you want to be fast so I'll do it. But this year I think I'll have a few 30hr weeks. I am also hitting the gym here soon. I would rather ride with friends but enjoy going out and riding solo for hours.

I am glad I still have a couple years left of school to really decide. Bike riding has been a great focal point for the last few years and has even helped me get through college. I'll be going back to Belgium to race next summer. Why? I am not sure... it's in my blood, being a winner, throwing my arms up after a solo break , no one in the picture. That’s a dream come true. Foolish bravado I know. Maybe someday I’ll win and when I do it’ll be worth it.

I have to get back to work living the dream. I won’t let you down.

8 comments:

Francis Hamre said...

Is this just hype to get your bags sold?

Redmond said...

Belgium?

Look me up when you get here dude...I thought you were supposed to be in TX by the way.

Anonymous said...

Don't waste your time doing 20-30hrs/week. You need a decent coach.

Jason said...

agreed, it's about quality not quantity... with that said though, some of us are well served (usually mentally) by going out on epic rides from time to time and loging insane mileage...

Mike Lalla said...

Redmond I was there last summer... where are you goin to be there this summer?!?

I don't even have a coach. I am on the self coaching program. Ride lots and hard and listen to my body.

Redmond said...

I live a bit more than an hour south of the border in France...

They're right...20-30 hours is too much.

Mike Lalla said...

What town silly?

redmond said...

Chaville, Pont l'Eveque or La Seyne, depends on what part of the summer.