Tuesday, July 07, 2009

SCHAAL SCHOETERS - BEVEREN-WAAS

This race was in interclub race. So it was bigger with stronger riders. After our warm up massage by the team massage dude we all went to sign in. I think around 200 guys were at the start line. The race started with a neutral roll out of town then it was game on. I started towards the front because I didn't stage with the other riders. So I had a front row seat for a while. There was attack after attacks and we had guys in every move but mostly it was Tom (who got 13th) and me. After one of our riders got brought back maybe 70km in I took a dig off the front solo for awhile for some camera time. I was joined by 4 or so dudes and we stayed away for a bit. I then went in another move bridging across with a dude who jumped me... so I got on his wheel after my super hard pull... then jumped him to make the front group my HR it seemed never went below 180bpm for a long time. After 100km it was still together when we hit the local laps. I was sitting pretty in the top 10 for 4 of the laps. With 4 to go the attacks came and I found my self in the front group with 3 teammates. But I couldn't stay in it. I did a lot of racing earlier and was starting to feel it after 150km. I went back to the peloton and then was whipped off the back. I stayed in the caravan for a little then made it back up to finish in the peloton.

I almost died about 4 times... I put my front wheel in some dudes derailleur. Some how I unclipped one foot and jumped up the curb to save it. Man was he yelling... something.

Our team took 5th, 13th and a solo effort for a top 20. We had a sponsor there and he was happy. The guy who took 5th then was motor paced home.

It’s an amazing sight to see 150+ dudes single file. It takes like 30 min just to move up towards the front. Then when the road narrows there is no way to move up unless you attack on the side walks, cut corners through yards, stores or jumping up on the round about. I also saw two riders who had to be pulled from each other at the finish. I like racing here.

Next race GODELIEVE PRIJS - PITTEM. This race will be hard.

5 comments:

Francis Hamre said...

wow.

wirerick said...

Freaking cool!

Adam said...

That sounds way better than Breaking Away!
Way to go dude.

wirerick said...

I wonder... Do all the racers know you are American, or does it help to be riding with a Belgiam team? When I went, our jerseys screamed "I am American" and I could never get into breakaways. Maybe your just a monster now? I had a feeling you would like that style of racing, its not boring is it?

Mike Lalla said...

Being on a Belgium team does help. But most of the racers know by now that I am an American. It helps I never open my mouth. I just look at people when they yell at me and do my pulls and close gaps.

And I am getting faster I think. It's attack and attack and attack then you're in the break.

I like this style and wish I could be here for a few years just racing. As soon as school is done...you never know. I am still young.