Friday, July 31, 2009

Sooner or later...

This post was going to happen. I still have no clue how to race . I feel like I am just riding around, pulling too hard when I don't have to, closing the wrong gaps and following the wrong wheels. My fitness is not nearly holding me back as much as my tactics. How many years do you think it takes to actually learn how to race a bike? And I don't mean get a win here or there with luck but always being in the right spot to win?

---

Yesterday after the race I was beat. I grab a couple of those bad boys on the bottom row and my 1.5 hr ride home was a sweet numb blur
I am starting to get tired...

---

I come home to Minnesota the 10th and will be back in "da Falls" around the 16th. I have a bunch of races still to do here and will be hitting up Birchwood before leaving MN and hopefully going well at HHH. then a little break.

I know I had 1 day off the bike after the failed tour but I can´t remember before that... No time to rest!

7 comments:

wirerick said...

Some guys never learn how to race over there. As you know its completely different. It sounds to me like you are riding REALLY well considering you are still relatively new to racing and its your first time in Belgium. The tactics will come as long as you learn from your mistakes. Keep it up Lalla! I'm telling you, the chocolate boobs will cheer you up!

Stu Benedict said...

Steps to success:

1.) Locate balls
2.) Remove shrink wrap
3.) Mount bicycle
4.) Don't over-think things (it's a GD bicycle after all-a childhood pastime).
5.) Buck up and go fast
6.) Win
7.) Get the proverbial D-Succ
8.) Continue to do so
9.) Maybe someday, with lots of hard work, you'll achieve Pro-Developmental status
10.) I doubt it, though. There's only one Pro-Developmental team in America as far as I know, and you're not that good yet.
11.) Beer drinking fits in here somewhere

See, now that's not too hard, is it?

-Stu

Mike Lalla said...

Thank you Stu for the 11? easy steps. I think am stuck on number 2 though. should I use a knife?

dew said...

You're not going to learn tactics racing belgium. You learn how to race in France or Italy. Remember the Belgiums know you're an American and will you use you up. Ever notice when you get in a break seems you're pulling the hardest?

Jason said...

Dew's right bud... It kind of sucks, but to really do well in Belgium you pretty much have to be the strongest guy in the race. You have to be strong enough to stick it to those guys no matter what situation you're in...

Mike Lalla said...

Dew maybe some day I´ll win snake!

Adam said...

Go fast but don't pull!