Sunday, July 11, 2010

Beker van België race report

So this race is the coolest of them all here in Flanders. It includes a lot of the climbs as the Ronde van Vlaanderen and is 160kms long. The race started with 191 starters including a bunch of riders who have committed to Protour teams next year. The first big hurdle of the day would be going into the Oude Kwaremont. My experience last year told me an early break would go up the road and I wanted to be there before the climb which is 45kms into the race. I tried many times attacking and bridging and being on the front in many breaks before I had to take a rest (I should be on video somewhere). I started to move back up before the Kwaremont but the speed is so high and the boxing match was in full swing. I think I went into the small roads in like 120th... My race was over. I started the cobbled section of the Kwaremont doing an F'in track stand and had to unclip once. Stupid. I also crawled the Paterberg. Last year when I was on top of the Kwaremont I was in my big ring. This year I could barely pedal. It was a super-hot and frustrating day.

No comments: