Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One more time.

I kept telling myself this last race. I’ve been having a hard time lately with the heat, mind and races. So in this race I figured I could take a small step in the right direction and when I feel like I’m dead I was going to go one more time. It came… with about 5 rounds in. After covering an attack the group caught us and started to attack. As the single file peloton was going passed I saw the tail coming quick. I gave her a 10 second effort and caught back on. At that point the race slowed down a lot! But they were attacking on the front. (What they do here is send a teammate or two up the road, then a teammate in the peloton would sit up on the front and on these small roads you can’t just follow wheels to get by. So… I just waited and we finally caught everyone, I think… I couldn’t see much from my tail gun position… I ended up in a small group off the back and we were stopped by the men in blue. I got 33rd out of 46 and 10 euros. It was hot, I drank 5 bottles in 50 kms.

I think this year is different than last. Last year I just tried to hang on as long as I could really. This year I find myself going for it more. While I don’t finish as many races I’m racing my bike harder. It’s hard trading pulls with past Elite Belgium Champions, former pros and soon to be Protour riders.

Next race tomorrow.

No comments: