Thursday, July 29, 2010

Steep learning curve.

Most of the riders I’m racing against have been doing this for 10-30 years. Most start when they are 7-11 years old. They have done this type of racing day in and day out for years. I got… 5 months, pick up little things here and there, learn who is the fast guys and find out how not to get punched (like today, I was the one who screwed up). These past few races have giving me enough confidence to know that I’m physically able to ride at the front. But race? I still have a lot to learn and I’m not going to learn it over a couple summers. Maybe if I was here full time.

Nothing in the states can prepare you for this type of racing. It’s just easier… with too much team tactics. More of a chess match. Here? Is more like a boxing match; you hit, they hit, you hit, they hit... till someone goes down.

I’ve never felt or have been this strong. Ever! And what did I do with that strength with 2 rounds to go and it was all together? Nothing… If I would have raced like I did two days ago I would have easily been in the front. I sprinted/coasted for 37th place (10 euros) and felt like I didn't even race. LAME. I still have a few races left maybe I can pull something out.

I’m happy about my form, but mad. I need to start “punching” and get angry more, like the winners do.

5 comments:

Francis Hamre said...

Did someone punch you? What did you say to get punched? ;)

Mike Lalla said...

Yeah in the hip/thigh area. I was taking some risks trying to move up through corners. When it's single file you take the corners single file even if you have to coast 50 yards from it. You can't just bomb the inside... while you may get ahead all the dudes behind you get gapped. So if you’re going to the inside you have to expect a gentle hook or swerve sent your way. It was a reminder punch... to tighten up and race right. I even said sorry. I do anything I want in the fields in the US and move around quite well. But here you can’t just do anything you want.

SickBoy said...

But here you can’t just do anything you want.

Sounds like what would happen if you turned the Tuff Ride into a race.

Mike Lalla said...

Haha I've only done one Tuff Ride and they were sprinting for a sign? But I thought they were still rotating so I kept on trying to pull through... That was a good day though. I rode to the ride from Coon Rapids did the ride then rode home.

SickBoy said...

You haven't 'made it' in Minnesota Cycling until you're been yelled at for "f*cking up" the Tuff Ride.

Definition of "f*cking up": Being faster than Ped and causing him to get dropped.