Sunday, August 15, 2010

Belgium Round 2

So it’s the last race today. I have to look back this time and think I did better. While I didn’t get the top 10s I wanted I was able to race my bike and finish in the money a lot more. In fact I finished more times in the money then I didn’t. So I’m a little more consistent. Which I think is stronger.

The second time around has been a lot better with my fellow races too. It seems they know me and I get a little more respect. No one takes wheels from me anymore because they know I won’t open a gap. The fast guys try and help me out and I have a lot more fans telling me good job and shaking my hand after races.

---

Last race report

147 starters and the first race was to the start line… Which I didn’t do, I just hid behind the fans with a Beveren 2000 rider and at the last second we jumped out in front. Okay sweet, I got a good start! I stayed around the top 20-50 the whole race, which was really important because of the rain and small roads with a lot of turns. I would say about 30 min in it was over for around 90 riders. It wasn’t too hard to move up and be towards the front so I was doing really well. Then with 7 or so to go I began having problems. I’m used to racing with a little caffeine in me. Well today I went beyond a point that was safe. I feel a little embarrassed but I think you should know that stuff could kill you. After around 15min of not feeling my legs and having my heart trying to rip out of my chest I had to pull over. I stopped on the side of the road for a min or so and let my HR come down Then I jumped in a small group and finished 48th. I’m kind of pissed because the race wasn’t hard. I was feeling really well. I was walking a fine line and during the race I went over it. I was the last rider to come out of that group. Not really how I wanted to end my final race here. But at least I’m alive and I learned a lot.

This has been a hard trip. I can't wait to be home. :)

No comments: